Thursday, July 14, 2011

Tomato Wine Pairings


Tomatoes are one of the more tricky food and wine pairings. Tomatoes generally are highly acidic and can make a wine flat. Depending on how they are prepared, depends on what type of wine I will pair with them. There are so many different types, sizes, colors, and shapes of heirloom tomatoes.


Chardonnay, oaky, and low acid wines generally do not pair well with tomatoes. Opposites do not attract in this pairing. This is a pairing where acid and acid go hand and hand. So I generally like to stick with high acid varietals.

My go to white is usually sauvignon blanc for raw tomatoes. This wine usually does well with a classic Caprese salad with sliced heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, balsamic, and olive oil. Depending on what type of tomatoes also might dictate what type of sauvignon blanc I will pair. With more acidic green tomatoes I might go for a New Zealand sauvignon blanc from Marlborough with a racy acidity. With sweeter ripe tomatoes I might lean towards a Napa Valley sauvignon blanc with a little more ripe citrus and softer acidity.


Other whites I have experimented with success are riesling, gewürztraminer, and pinot grigio. These whites are generally unoaked, stainless steel fermented, and have moderate to high acid. Rieslings and gewürztraminers pair well with tomato dishes that have some spice and peppers in them. Pinot grigio pairs well with a gently cooked tomato and pasta dish.

My favorite red to pair with tomatoes is sangiovese, the classic grape of Chianti, and it grows all over Tuscany. When I think of cooked tomatoes I immediately think of Italy and a classic red sauce with pasta. Sangiovese has bright acidity, not too much oak, and is medium in body. Another red I enjoy with tomatoes is barbera. It grows all over the Piedmont in northern Italy and has similar characteristics to a pinot noir, but with an Italian twist.

These are just a few thoughts on tomato and wine pairings.

No comments:

Post a Comment